Scientist (m/f) Data Assimilation for Coastal Ocean Models
The Institute of Coastal Research at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht hosts a number of highly motivated and experienced researchers in the field of numerical modeling of regional and coastal circulation, surface waves, sediment transport, biogeochemistry, data assimilation and remote sensing. Together with seven other Helmholtz Institutes, the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht takes part in the Advanced Earth System Modelling Capacity (ESM), which is a major coordinated effort towards a modular Earth System modeling and data assimilation infrastructure.
For these activities the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht is looking for a highly motivated Scientist (m/f) with solid knowledge and experience in data analysis and numerical ocean modeling. The position is limited to 3 years. The place of employment is Geesthacht.
Within ESM the successful candidate is expected to:
- develop and implement data assimilation schemes with focus on the regional and coastal ocean
- work on the theoretical and practical aspects of assimilation into coupled modeling systems (circulation, ocean waves, atmosphere)
- develop approaches to couple coastal assimilation modules with regional and global systems taking into account the various spatial and temporal scales
- publish in relevant scientific journals
- present the research at international conferences and project meetings
We expect the following profile and qualifications:
- University degree in Physics, Mathematics, Physical Oceanography, Atmospheric Science or related disciplines and a relevant PhD
- excellent knowledge about theoretical and numerical aspects of statistics, e.g., estimation theory, optimization, linear algebra, etc.
- experience with assimilation methods (e.g., ensemble approaches or adjoint models) would be highly appreciated
- solid knowledge about theoretical and numerical aspects of physical oceanography
- experience with coastal ocean modeling would be an advantage
- excellent programming skills und solid knowledge about FORTRAN, experience in parallel programming (e.g., MPI) would be appreciated
- relevant publications in peer reviewed scientific literature
- excellent command of English
- ability and experience to work in an inter- and transdisciplinary environment
Closing date for applications is April 28th, 2017.