Scientist (Postdoc) (m/f) in the area of Marine Biogeochemistry
The Institute of Coastal Research, Department of Biogeochemistry in Coastal Seas, WG Ecosystem and nutrient cycles invite applications for a Scientist (Postdoc) (m/f) in the area of Marine Biogeochemistry. The position is limited to three years.
The candidate is expected to investigate biogeochemical processes in the sediment and benthic-pelagic coupling at the sediment-water interface of the river-sea continuum. In addition, he or she shall advance methods for in-situ and ex-situ measurement and for interpretation of benthic flux data. The position includes organization and logistics of sea-going campaigns.
Profile of qualifications:
- hold a university degree (diploma/masters) and a PhD in Marine Geology or Aquatic Biogeochemistry
- strong scientific background in benthic biogeochemical fluxes, benthic-pelagic coupling, sediment physics, biogeochemical processes in coastal seas and estuaries
- innovative experience with marine instrumentation and sensors (e.g., ADCP, CTD, optodes, electrochemical sensors, micro-sensors)
- experience with sediment incubations, bioturbation measurements
- excellent written and oral communication skills in German and English, as well as a record of peer reviewed scientific publications demonstrating excellent writing skills
- willingness to work in an international and interdisciplinary team at the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht, Germany
- ability and willingness to work in a team
- experience in sea-going research and willingness to participate in seagoing research